Digitimes: Decline for 6.6%
In 2016 15.74 million pieces of tablets were around the world delivered that for 6.6% it is lower than 2015. Apple was the largest vendor, having delivered 42.55 million pieces of iPad, the Taiwan consulting firm TrendForce reports.
The firm expects that in 2017 world deliveries of tablets will decrease by 6.1% and will make 14.78 million pieces.
IDC: Falling of the market within 2 years
At the beginning of February, 2017 the IDC analytical company announced that the world market of tablet computers is in decline more than two years. At leaders of Apple and Samsung Electronics of delivery are strongly reduced.
IDC counted 174.8 million tablets released in 2016 on a global scale that 15.6% less than value of year prescription. In October-December when shipments decreased more than by 20%, the market of tablets showed the ninth in a row quarter recession.
Market falling researchers connect with weak sales of the traditional models which do not have removable or the rotating keyboards. Though in some regions, like the Middle East, Africa, Central and Eastern Europe, remains perspectives for increase in demand for such electronics, simple inexpensive tablets loses relevance and does not bring a large income to producers.
More and more vendors direct to the hybrid electronics capable to perform functions of notebooks and tablets. However this segment slows down growth because tablets with the removable keyboard and transforming computers came nearer in respect of price relation and performance, the senior analyst of IDC Jitesh Ubrani notes.
|Nevertheless this situation will be temporary as only two platforms from three main have considerable presence in the market of the hybrid equipment, and ecosystems require further updates and support of developers — the expert added.|
Apple remained the largest supplier of tablets in 2016, however shipments of iPad decreased more than by 14% up to 42.6 million pieces. At the company hybrid devices (iPad Pro can be completed with the removable keyboard) are also provided, however only 10% of sales of tablets in assortment of Apple fall to their share.
In 2016 Samsung which remained on the second place in the list of leaders of the tablet market reduced release of gadgets by 20.5%, and following Amazon increased deliveries twice thanks to the offer of ultrabudget models.
IDC predicts recession of sales for 9%
According to the forecast of June, 2016, in 2016-2017 the world market of tablets will continue to be reduced in quantitative expression. According to IDC, in 2016 sales of tablets in sales channels (delivery to the world market) will decrease by 9.6% in comparison with 2015. In 2015 decrease was 10.1%..
IDC: record decline by 10%
At the beginning of February, 2016 analysts of IDC published results of a research of the world market of tablet computers. Its volume as experts found out, was reduced more than by 10%.
According to calculation of IDC, in 2015 universal deliveries of tablets made 206.8 million pieces against 230.1 million the previous year. At the same time the segment of hybrid devices (with the connected keyboards) grows at two-digit rates since the end of 2014, and in the 2015th its volume reached record 8.1 million units. Without these devices the global tablet market dropped by 21.1% that is the biggest recession for all its history.
|Quarter was unusual from that point of view that at the market there were new hybrid tablets under the administration of platforms from three main producers — the analyst of IDC Jitesh Ubrani says. — Despite not the most enthusiastic responses, iPad Pro became the explicit winner in this season, having outstripped on sales of all hybrids, including model from Microsoft and other PCs vendors.|
IDC also pay attention that the prices of tablet PCs did not reach a bottom, in what a considerable merit of Amazon company yet. Its model for $50 was included into the three of the most popular tablets in the fourth quarter 2015, and the producer — in Top-3 of the largest.
By results for all 2015 Apple remained the leader of the world tablet market, however deliveries of iPad were reduced almost by 22%, and a market share of the Californian giant — to 24% from 27.6% in 2014.
The world's largest producers of tablets in 2015.
Deliveries in 2015.
Share in 2015.
Deliveries in 2014.
Share in 2014.
Growth year by year
Source: IDC, 2016.
Recession — for 18.1% — also Samsung going on the second place worried. Analysts note that the South Korean giant has the wide range of tablets consisting of devices of different price categories and the sizes. Such product portfolio can promote transition of Samsung to hybrid electronics in 2016, specialists believe.
Digitimes Research: shipments of tablets will drop by 11.8%
In the analytical report Digitimes Research Special Report it is reported that in 2015 will seriously suffer a share and IOS-DEVICES, and Android gadgets. In 2015 world shipments of tablets can drop by 11.8% (in comparison with results of 2014), having reached a point of 244 million pieces of equipment, analysts of Digitimes Research consider. For such forecast there are two essential bases - it is essential market saturation of tablets as initial level, and a premium and also rapid growth of popularity of large smartphones and inexpensive notebooks which begin to win competitive struggle.
The share of 7-inch tablets will fall from 51.3% in 2014 up to 44.3% in the 2015th. Especially strongly decrease will strike the companies which release so-called noneym-tablets (are considered in the research Digitimes Research). Despite it, in a segment of tablets with diagonal from 10 inches growth by 20% within a year is expected. It is substantially connected with the fact that vendors look for new opportunities for themselves, offering new options of use of tablets in corporate and industrial environments.
In the analytical report Digitimes Research Special Report it is reported that in 2015 will seriously suffer a share and IOS-DEVICES, and Android gadgets. In spite of the fact that Apple iPad tablets with the diagonal of 12.85 inches, most likely, will increase a share of IOS-TABLETS on the market, drop in sales of "normal" iPad and iPad mini will be more essential. The forecast for IOS-TABLETS for 2015 made "only" 49.9 million devices.
At the same time, the share of devices based on OS Windows in 2015 will increase by 50%, thanks to the growing shipments of both tablets, and hybrid devices 2 in 1 based on the Intel processors Core M. Besides, good year waits for the company Intel which growth in sales of tablets based on processors will make 50%. In 2015 40 million tablets based on chips of Intel will be supplied to the world market.
Gartner: Growth in sales of tablets slows down
The Gartner company stated in the fall of 2014 that growth in sales of tablets in 2014 slows down as new buyers began to prefer alternative devices, and those who already have tablets try to prolong time of their life. According to Gartner, in 2014 global sales of tablets will make 229 million pieces that is 11% more, than in the 2013th. It will correspond to 9.5% of all world market of computer devices (the PC, tablets, ultramobile devices and mobile phones) in 2014. Let's remind that for 2013 deliveries of tablets grew by 55%.
Dell International Tablet Survey 2014
The Dell company announced in the fall of 2014 survey results of Chief information officers from ten countries of the world concerning use of tablets in corporate environment (International Tablet Survey 2014). Poll showed that tablets help to increase mobility and productivity of employees. Besides, employees positively speak of use of these devices in work.
The research International Tablet Survey 2014 is conducted based on online poll of Harris Poll of Nielsen analytical company by request of Dell in the summer of this year. The research shows how tablets in corporate environment are used: what approaches are applied by IT heads to use by employees of tablets in work whether plan the companies of their purchase and as tablets affect efficiency what bear in themselves advantages and difficulties. Comparison of tablets with devices of other types is carried out, it becomes clear as far as tablets meet expectations of IT heads. Customers of Dell, heads of the companies and Chief information officers around the world can use results of a research in the work when planning IT strategy already now and in the future.
Main results of the research Dell International Tablet Survey 2014
- Tablets — the standard corporate tool. Nine of ten polled IT heads in all countries (83% of respondents), except for Japan, said that tablets are included into the standard list of working tools or are in a consideration stage as like those; also they permit the employees to use personal tablets for work. Most of the polled Chief information officers — in China - 82%, the UAE / Saudi Arabia - 74%, the USA - 73%, Brazil - 73%, Great Britain - 68%, France - 61%, India - 59% and Russia - 51% — said that tablets are included into the standard list of working IT tools. More than a half of respondents — in Russia - 58%, India - 57%, China - 52% and in the USA - 51% — permit employees to use tablets which they purchased on own money. At the same time not less than a half of the polled IT heads — in China 59%, the USA - 53% and India - 50% — said that permit the employees to use personal tablets which those purchased at a financial support of the employer.
- Employees speak for benefit of tablets. Not less than 90% of heads of IT departments in all countries, except for India (85%), said that their employees spoke for benefit of tablets still before the company started their implementation in corporate network. In the USA (58% of respondents), Great Britain (58%), India (56%1), Japan (56%1), Brazil (68%1), the UAE / Saudi Arabia (63%) and South Africa (22 of 32 respondents IT руководителей1) the staff of the companies repeatedly spoke for benefit of tablets. Respondents from those companies in which tablets are not offered as working tools or so far are considered (in all countries), reported that their employees spoke for benefit of this new type of devices.
- The most often used operating system — Android. OS Windows iOS and also are popular. Windows, IOS and Android OS are distributed in all countries, however Android was called most often by respondents in India (91%), Brazil (87%), Russia (87%), South Africa (26 of 32 respondents IT руководителей1), China (79%), the UAE / Saudi Arabia (79%), France (69%) and Great Britain (69%). Meanwhile the Windows® operating system won first place in popularity in the USA (it was mentioned by 72% of respondents), and iOS — in Japan (69% of respondents).
- Tablets help to increase productivity. In the majority of the countries most of IT heads reported that implementation of tablets increased productivity of employees as with the tablet it is simpler to carry out working tasks during the trips, it is easier to service clients and it is more convenient to get data access out of office and in field conditions. Also tablets help to enter easily data in real time that allows not to do the same work twice. Productivity increased at least by 25% in India (reported about it 58%1 respondents) and Brazil (61%1) — and for 20% and above in the USA (60% of respondents reported about it), Great Britain (53%1). Growth of productivity by 15 and more percent was noted by most of respondents in China (62%), and in France 73%1 respondents announced increase in productivity not less than for 10% when using by employees of tablets in work.
- Tablets meet expectations wholly. In nine of ten countries most of IT heads reported that tablets met expectations of their company. So 61% of respondents in the USA, 59% in Great Britain, 60%1 in India, 75% in Japan, 77% in China, 66% in Brazil, 77% in France, 81% in Russia and 20 of 32 polled heads from South Africa answered. At the same time a considerable part of respondents from the majority of the specified countries said that tablets even exceeded their expectations. It is remarkable that in the UAE / Saudi Arabia almost every second survey participant (46%1) was recognized that tablets exceeded expectations, and 26%1 — that was not justified.
- IT heads are going to implement more tablets. 65% of respondents in the USA, 49% in Great Britain, 69%1 in India, 52% in Japan, 76% in China, 67% in Brazil, 49% in France, 65%1 in Russia and 25 of 32 polled participants in South Africa said that their companies practicing use of tablets by employees are going to equip with tablets bigger number of employees over time. In the UAE / Saudi Arabia more than a half of IT heads are going to use so many tablets how many is (58%1) now in work, and 32%1 said that the number of tablets is going to be increased.
- Security — the main reason interfering implementation and use by employees of tablets. Most of IT heads in the companies who do not offer the employees tablets as working tools now and which do not plan their implementation was specified as the reason of a problem with data security, including possible losses and thefts of devices. Referred 54%1 respondents in the USA, 67%1 in India, 51%1 in Japan, 15 of 28 polled participants in China to these reasons and 53%1 in France. These reasons also marked out 21 of 48 respondents in Great Britain and 42%1 respondents in Russia. In each of the listed countries the data security was mentioned as a basic reason. In Brazil (of 63 respondentov1) and the UAE / Saudi Arabia (9 of 20 respondentov1) a basic reason the absence in tablets of sufficient volume of the internal memory, and in South Africa (22 of 45 respondentov1) — risk of loss or damage of the device was called 23. Most of respondents in nine of ten countries (an exception of steel of the UAE / Saudi Arabia) considered the main problem risk of the loss of the tablet leading to date leak. Besides, in the USA, India, Japan, China and South Africa most of respondents specified as risks on violation corporate the politician and requirements of regulators when using tablets.
The I quarter 2013: sales growth for 142%
According to IDC, in the first quarter 2013 of sale of tablets in the world grew by 142.4% in comparison with the same period of last year. In a quarter 49.2 million tablets were sold — more, than for all first half of last year, and signs of deceleration of growth of analytics are not seen yet.
Both Apple, and Samsung showed the results which exceeded expectations of analysts. Tablets of production Apple 19.5 million whereas analysts spoke about 18.7 million were sold. Usually in the first quarter, after an active New Year's season, sales of products of Apple sharply fall, and buyers wait for release in March of new models, but this year the difference turned out less thanks to as analysts, popularity of iPad mini, growth of corporate purchases and postponement of release of the new iPad model for the fourth quarter of previous year consider.
Samsung was succeeded to raise sales by 282.6%, however it still strongly lags behind Apple by the number of the sold tablets — 8.8 million pieces. Demand for Samsung tablets of the small size gradually grows, analysts note.
Demand for Nexus 7 tablets helped ASUS to come to the third place among producers of tablets, but as analysts believe, it will be difficult for it to hold the won positions. The Google I/O conference will take place soon, and many producers will produce new models of tablets based on Android.
Five largest producers of tablet computers, the first quarter 2013
|Supply rate (one million devices)||Growth for a year (%)||Market share (%)|
|Microsoft||0,9||there are no data||1,8|
Source: IDC Worldwide Tablet Tracker, May 2013.
Basic operation systems for tablet computers, the first quarter 2013
|Supply rate (one million devices)||Growth for a year (%)||Market share (%)|
|Windows RT||0,2||there are no data||0,4|
Source: IDC Worldwide Tablet Tracker, May 2013.
- ↑ Tablet Market Woes Continue as Growth in Detachable Tablets Takes Its First Vacation During the Holiday Season, According to IDC
- ↑ Three years of drop in sales are promised tablets
- ↑ Worldwide Shipments of Slate Tablets Continue to Decline While Detachable Tablets Climb to New High, According to IDC
- ↑ IDC: The world market of tablets grew in a year by two and a half times