2018: Creation of the standard
In the middle of July, 2018 it became known of creation of a new industry standard for connection of devices virtual reality (VR) — VirtualLink. It was developed in the consortium of the same name which includes the companies Nvidia Oculus Valve, AMD and Microsoft.
VirtualLink represents an alternate mode of USB-C for connection of VR helmets with computers and other equipment. The technology provides connection through one broadband Type-C USB interface instead of a linking of wires and connectors.
VirtualLink is connected to VR helmets at the same time on four high-speed lines of HBR3 DisplayPort which can be scaled if necessary, and date channel of USB 3.1 for data transmission from cameras and sensors. At the same time about 27 W are at the same time supplied.
In the theory it it is possible to be equivalent to the DisplayPort 1.4 connection when the capacity allowing to broadcast 4K-video with a frequency of 120 Hz is provided.
The new open standard simplifies and accelerates setup of virtual reality, eliminating one of key obstacles for distribution of technology. Thanks to technology virtual reality can be started at connection to small devices with a limited number of ports, for example, to ultracompact notebooks.
It is noted that in comparison with other interfaces of VirtualLink it is specially created for VR. It provides optimal latency and bandwidth, allowing producers of helmets and the PC to create virtual reality of new generation, it is told on the website of consortium VirtualLink.
This organization submitted specifications of the VirtualLink standard for the companies which wish to receive details to an exit of VirtualLink 1.0. At the same time participants of consortium do not specify when the standard begins to extend in the market.
You look also Virtual reality
- Virtual reality (VR, Virtual Reality)
- Virtual reality in medicine
- Augmented reality (AR, Augmented Reality)
- The mixed reality
- Association of augmented and virtual reality (AVRA)
- Center of prototyping of SPb
- VR Consortium
- Global Association of Virtual Reality (GVRA)
- VirtualLink (standard of connection of VR devices)
- Projects of Virtual reality
- Magic Leap One Creator Edition
- ALT: Antilatency tracker
- HTC Vive
- Samsung Gear VR
- Lenovo Explorer
- PTC Vuforia Studio Enterprise
- VE VR Concept Engine - VR Concept
- VE CAVE Virtual prototyping
- VE miniCAVE и miniCADWall
- Arbyte CADStation WS ready for VR
- HP ENVY Phoenix HP Windows Mixed Reality Headset Professional Edition
- PGNIU: An interactive panorama for a helmet of virtual reality
- General VR
- ZTE E2E VR Live
- Software AG ELISE
- DS Virtual Garage
- Croc: A VR system for the sphere of design
- HP Z VR Backpack
- Nvidia Holodeck
- Google Glass
- Epson Moverio Pro BT Augmented rReality glasses
- Magic Leap One Creator Edition (augmented rReality glasses)
- Intel Vaunt Smart points