|The name of the base system (platform):||G Suite (before Google Apps)|
|Date of the premiere of the system:||April 1, 2004|
|Last Release Date:||2020/06/17|
|Technology:||Office applications, Mail server|
Gmail (from Google Mail, the dzhi-mail or gmeyl is said) is free service of e-mail from the American company Google. Provides access to mailboxes via the web interface and under protocols POP3, SMTP and IMAP.
When using Gmail postal service the user receives the postal address in the domain googlemail.com (firstname.lastname@example.org type) and an alias in the domain gmail.com (email@example.com).
The postal address in the corresponding domain used by group (enterprise) is provided for users of Google Apps.
In comparison with the become already standard webmail services, Gmail offers a number of innovations.
- Use of safe connection. Unlike many free and even some paid mail services, Gmail offers connection on the encoded channel under the SMTP/POP3/IMAP protocols and also the web interface through the encoded connection under the HTTPS protocol (the protocol of enciphering TLS v1.0,128 bit ARC4 (1024 bit RSA/SHA)).
- Lack of record of the IP addresses in the attached letter headings. In the majority of other free mail services the IP address of the sender registers (headings Received from, X-Originating-IP).
- Viewing the magazine of access to the account, with indication of the IP addresses, the protocol of access (the browser, the mobile device, POP3, etc.) and time and also information on whether work still somewhere under this account. If the user for any reason forgot to log out of the corresponding account, for example, in a workplace, using the Gmail interface he can complete this session.
- the Option "only HTML" allows to reduce considerably the number of the loaded information, thereby providing quick access to the web interface even at narrowband access in the Internet. In turn, in connection with the large volume of the transmitted data the standard web interface, directly during its loading it is possible to pass into the mode "only HTML" and to include its loading automatically.
- Almost total absence of advertizing considerably reduces the amount of information, necessary for loading (in comparison with the services containing graphic and flash-advertizing). Advertizing links completely are absent in the mode "only HTML", and are present only when reading volume letters as contextual advertizing in the form of the text on a panel on the right.
- More than 7 gigabytes of disk space for letters. Nevertheless, the size of one accepted or sent letter cannot exceed 25 megabytes.
- Viewing discussions. A method of a categorization of messages at which Gmail monitors separate "discussions" — the initial message with a chain of answers to it (the maximum number of letters in a chain — 100). Chains are created automatically, however they cannot be created manually. In September, 2010 Google eliminated feature of Gmail which users of service called it the main shortcoming, and because of which as a result stopped on the competing services. From now on owners of accounts can turn off the corporate Gmail function - viewing messages in the form of chains.
- Labels. Letters are not entered in folders, and are divided by categories which the user can supplement and change. The efficiency of this mechanism is slightly higher, than more traditional with folders as the possibility of combination of different combinations of labels is implemented. There are "standard" labels, for example inbox (Entering) or chats (Chats). Labels can be marked in the different colors for convenience.
- Archiving. At the large volume of a box of e-mail it is not necessary to delete letters for release of amount, are enough to remove from inbox label them (Entering) to send them to archive.
- Autosave. When editing messages of times a minute automatic preserving of the draft copy of the letter, for data loss prevention in case of switching off of a power supply or other failures is executed.
- the Developed contact list. For each interlocutor the photo, the addresses and phones can be set. Substitution of the addresses from the list which is displayed at text typing in line to "whom" on the user name or its e-mail address gathered even partially is also implemented.
- Support of RSS. Thanks to it it is possible to read letters using other RSS clients, for example, from the personalized pages of the search websites msn.com, yahoo.com and google.com, the Microsoft Deskbar program. It gives the chance to check mail, without being connected to the web interface.
- Built-in check of spelling. Automatically determines language of the message and offers options of writing of wrong words.
- Built-in chat. Messages can be delivered not only using post office protocols, but also through the Jabber protocol thanks to what users can exchange instant messages, using the web interface of a mailbox, the Google Talk program, or any other, supporting Jabber.
- Mail on own domain. A possibility of use during the work with service Gmail of own domain name, and creation in it a large number of mailboxes, each of which can use all advantages of Gmail. At the same time the domains registered not using partners of Google will require special setup of records of the domain. Given by an opportunity is a part of the provided Google of service — Google Apps.
- Work in a standalone mode. Allows to use a mailbox even in the absence of connection to the Internet. Autonomous access to Gmail is provided using Google Gears technology which saves the application on the hard drive of the user. In a standalone mode users can read the come messages and also write letters which will be automatically sent right after resuming of connection with the Internet.
2020: Emergence of video calls in the Gmail application
In May, 2020 Google made the service video conferences free for all users and also added it to the web version of Gmail. Now Google Meet it is available on mobile devices Android and iOS. It became known on June 17, 2020.
Each user will have an access to video conferences on the smartphone soon, and the planned meetings will be displayed in Google the Calendar.
For connection, getting a link or adding of the forthcoming call to the Calendar Begin a Meeting is enough to click. Having selected the option "Join a Meeting with the Password", users will be able to enter a conference on the invitation, using specially generated code.
Hackers with assistance of the foreign states attacked 12000 users of Google
The group on the analysis of threats in Google (Threat Analysis Group, TAG) published in the report data that they extended over 12000 warnings to users from 150 countries of the world. Receivers were notified that they became an object of the states of attempts of phishing attacks sponsored by a row. The hackers supported, according to Google, by the foreign states tried to obtain at thousands of people their registration data for access to Google, using phishing e-mails for obtaining registration data fraudulently. These attacks, generally had the one and only purpose – to hack the Gmail account at the victim, having forced it to visit the counterfeit site of Google and a message the password for the purpose of its change.
As a rule, e-mails contain references which conduct the potential victim on the counterfeit website externally almost not different from the real website. This counterfeit website urges the victim to update the registration data with the purpose to increase the level of the security. However instead of change of the password people finally provide to criminals the real logins and passwords, thereby, inadvertently providing them access to the account. Very often the victims do not even know that they were cracked since the hacker does not use the hacked account at once not to cause problems and suspicions, but at the same time he watches it until decides when and as by the best method to use a situation and to strike blow.
Possible options of actions from the cyber-criminal:
- Search of a method to get access to your account in online bank or even a purse with cryptocurrencies
- Viewing materials which could be used for the subsequent blackmail
- Theft of confidential information (including and that that is a trade secret)
- Impersonization (the criminal issues himself on the Internet for you)
Today hackers especially easily make acts of fraud after hack the account. Mailboxes are often filled with personal information (for example, scans of passports, certificates of birth and so forth). The group of the analysis of threats Google (TAG) also showed in the report that they actively struggle with the groups of hackers supported by the foreign states which work on distribution of misinformation.
Google collects information on purchases of users through Gmail
On May 17, 2019 it became known that Google uses a mail service of Gmail for tracking of purchases of users in various shops.
The journalist of CNBC Todd Hazelton found out that information on the purchases made using online services or mobile applications gathers on the Purchases page (myaccount.google.com/purchases) in an account of Google.
And it is not only about purchases which become through Google services, but also about the transactions made through third-party platforms (for example, Amazon). Information on these transactions is taken from electronic checks which come to an e-mail.
According to the reporter, these data can be stored several years, and, analyzing them, Google can make a picture of consumer preferences and habits for an output of targeted advertizing or other commercial purposes.
The representative of Google confirmed to CNBC that data on purchases of users are collected on the special page. The company assured that it becomes for convenience that people could see in one place all the purchases, armor and a subscription.
According to the employee of Google, the page on which information on purchases of goods and services accumulates is visible only the user, and data can be deleted at any time.
Besides, in corporation insist that this information is not used for advertizing demonstration. Google did not report how long it uses this tool for collection of data on the user purchases.
The Verge reminds that else in 2017 Google promised to stop using data from e-mails in Gmail for display of the personalized advertizing. Users can erase information from the Purchases page, but not all for time — each transaction should be deleted separately, notes the edition.
Rules of the Gmail data access for third-party applications
On October 9, 2018 it became known that in response to the criticism connected with access of third-party applications to information of the Gmail e-mail client, including electronic messages of users, the Google corporation will toughen rules of access of programs to data of service. Requirements will become effective on January 9, 2019.
Since 2019, only applications, "the e-mail clients which are directly increasing functionality" service, for example, services of backup of e-mail and so forth will be able to get access to the Gmail mailboxes.
Application developers will need to process the programs taking into account these requirements. To creators of the applications, the electronic messages having full access to data, but providing only function of sending, it will also be required to review permissions as since 2019 programs will be forbidden to read letters of users.
According to the message of Google, application developers till February 15, 2019 need to send the products for repeated check. After February 22, 2019 the applications which are not meeting standards will be deleted.
Except other, the company intends to estimate as developers ensure safety of collected data of Gmail. Process will include carrying out penetration tests, check of the mechanism of removal of the account, assessment of plans of response to incidents, programs of remuneration for the found vulnerabilities, security policies and so forth. When sending applications for repeated check developers will also need to accept conditions of policy of Google prohibiting sale of the data collected through applications to the third parties.
Strangers for years read correspondence of millions of users
Developers of third-party applications have access to mail correspondence of millions of users of Gmail service and actively use it. The The Wall Street Journal edition reported about it in July, 2018 .
Settings of access Gmail allow application developers and to the companies which are engaged in collecting and data analysis to browse messages and personal data of users. In spite of the fact that providing access to mail is performed only with the consent of the user – at installation or application launch, requiring access to correspondence, Android OS will ask to confirm desire to share personal correspondence – not quite obviously that not only machine algorithms, but also living people will be able to read it.
According to the statement of Google, e-mails are transferred to only carefully checked third-party developers. In verification process the staff of Google finds out whether collecting of similar information is necessary for the application for its successful functioning. For example, access to Gmail account is absolutely precisely necessary for an e-mail client. As approves Google, the set of requests deviates from third-party developers, however the company does not provide specific data on that how many.
Among the "reliable" companies looking in mailboxes of users of Gmail Return Path and Edison Software appear. Correspondents of The Wall Street Journal managed to contact representatives of both companies and to find out that employees of these firms manually analyze hundreds of letters as a result to train machine algorithms automatically to process similar data.
Staff of Google can also read letters of users, but only in special cases when the user gives on this unambiguous consent. For example, technical support of the company access to mail of the user who declared cracking of an account of Google can be required.
Anyway, the set of programs and the companies, including a popular packet of Microsoft Office has potential to read mail correspondence. According to The Wall Street Journal, Gmail not the only service practicing "draining" of personal data and correspondence of the clients. Other postal services are probably engaged in the same.
Gmail will allow the government to bypass the law on freedom of information
For normal users emergence of a similar opportunity will become this gift, however activists are concerned by the fact that the government organizations will use it for concealment of correspondence from the journalists and activists interested in transparency of actions of the government. Now e-mails of government officials in the USA are available to journalists according to the law "About Freedom of Information" (Freedom of Information Act, 
"As there are more and more governments and their different managements use Gmail, there is a probability of a bypass of laws on public availability of the state records using e-mails, "disappearing" over time. One of fundamental rights of society to transparency and openness will be broken. We urge you to take steps for shutdown of the self-destructions function for government accounts of Gmail and the letters directed to government agencies", – Motherboard quotes the letter of the National coalition for freedom of information (National Freedom of Information Coalition) sent the chief executive of Google Sundar Pichai.
Updating of design and functionality
The Google company announced the beginning of transition to the updated interface and functionality of a mail service of Gmail. Since April 25, 2018 changes will be gradually noticed by all its users.
The interface of a mailbox remained minimalist. The left part of the homepage with the menu of navigation by mail practically did not undergo significant changes. But it is possible, without coming into the letter, to see the files attached to it and to browse them.
The term of relevance of messages on which expiration the letter disappears from a mailbox helps to set the mode of confidentiality. An opportunity to postpone incoming messages for the term set by the user after which letters will appear at the top of the list will become one of important changes. There service will place express letters on which the answer was not given.
In the web version at guidance of the cursor on the letter there is an additional horizontal panel which allows to make different actions with messages. Service of smart answers is also implemented – this function automatically generates response messages on the basis of a key word of the incoming letter and the general context.
In the right part of the screen there was a configured toolbar which by default enter Calendar, service of notes "Keep" and the task list. It is possible to add to a panel also other elements. In mobile version setup of obtaining notifications when obtaining important letters only from certain users is available.
Google separately notes that in Gmail additional algorithms of security of users are implemented. It is about protection against spam and a phishing and also cracking: users of service can undergo two-factor authentication through the SMS. Work in the standalone safe mode without connection to the Internet became available.
According to the company, all changes are directed to making service safer and productive.
Gmail waits for large-scale redesign
The Google company sent on April 12, 2018 to corporate subscribers of a packet of office G Suite programs the formal notice on change of design of Gmail. In the message it is mentioned that the mail service will receive not only a fresh appearance, but also will get additional functionality.
Among the main announced changes — access to Calendar of Google directly from the Gmail interface. Besides, users will have an opportunity to postpone the received letters that they appeared in the Entering folder in several hours or days again, specific term can be set in settings. The company notes that it is good method to clean mail in that case, when there is no an opportunity to answer the sent message immediately.
In addition, in the desktop version of service there will be smart answers which are already used by users of applications in operating systems iOS and Android. This function automatically generates answers to letters on the basis of a key word of an incoming message and the general context. Google also promises to work the mechanism of storage of letters on the computer with a possibility of autonomous access to them.
In Gmail additional protection for government employees and journalists will appear
Google intends to add to function Gmail, the providing additional levels of protection for users, being the potential purposes of hackers (for example, government employees and journalists). On Tuesday, October 17, announced Reuters news agency it .
Accounts of all participants of the program of the strengthened protection of users will regularly receive updates according to the arising threats. Initially Google will offer three levels of protection, including blocking of fraudulent accounts and protection against a phishing. Besides, process of recovery of the password that hackers could not issue themselves for these owners of accounts will be complicated.
According to the specialist of the "Center of Democracy and Technologies" organization Joseph Lorenzo Hall if at the head of the campaign headquarters Hillary Clinton of John Podesta this function was activated, "now the world could be absolutely another". Let's remind, in 2016 on the Internet 50 thousand e-mails of Podesta stolen by cybercriminals were published. As it was reported earlier, the head of the campaign headquarters Clinton could fall a victim of a phishing.
Google will cease to scan mail of users in the advertizing purposes
The Google company will cease to scan e-mails of users of a mail service of Gmail for demonstration of the personalized advertisements. In the corporate blog in June, 2017 Diana Green, the vice president reported about it].
The mail service of Gmail repeatedly was exposed to criticism because Google scans e-mails of users in the advertizing purposes. As a rule, the people dissatisfied with the advertizing policy of Google call such approach confidentiality violation.
In the near future the user version of Gmail will cease to scan mail of users for advertizing personalisation. According to Diana Green, thus the free version of Gmail will correspond to the commercial version of service available in G Suite packet.
It should be noted that Gmail will still show the personalized advertisements, however now they will depend on the same parameters, as the advertizing shown by other Google services. Personalisation of advertizing can be configured or turned off in settings of a user profile of Google.
Function of detection of phishing attacks
In June, 2017 function of detection of phishing attacks using machine learning technologies, instant warnings of transition according to suspicious links, messages about sending the undesirable answer was provided to receivers outside the domain and the built-in functions of protection against new threats.
According to the statistics, 50–70% of the letters sent to users of Gmail are spam. Machine learning technologies allow to recognize undesirable and phishing letters in Gmail with an accuracy more than 99.9%. To improve this indicator, early detection of a phishing is started. This model of machine learning delays transfer of suspicious letters (on average less than 0.05% of messages) to analyze them on existence of threats and to protect data of users.
Models of detection are merged with service Safe viewing in which machine learning technologies for detection of links to phishing and harmful pages are also used. In new models different technicians of the analysis of URL, for example, on reputation and similarity are applied. Thanking it is possible to show instant warnings of transition according to suspicious links.
To help the companies and employees to avoid accidental loss or date leak, Google will begin to show in Gmail of warning of undesirable sending letters to people outside the domain. Now, if the employee wants to send the letter to the addressee outside the company, he will receive the notification then he will be able to confirm or cancel sending. The technology of smart search in Gmail defines whether receivers enter the contact list or users to whom communication happens regularly to avoid unnecessary warning.
25 million Gmail usernames with passwords are offered for sale
In the Darknet millions of logins and passwords to the Gmail and Yahoo mailboxes are put in March up for sale. The user with nickname SunTzu583 who is earlier noticed on wholesales of the hacked Gmail and PlayStation accounts acts as the seller. Now he put up for sale record-sized data arrays, and their most part is made by details to Google accounts.
You look in more detail - DLP: loud information leaks
Integration of third-party software
On March 13, 2017 Google announced intention to add support of third-party additions which can be integrated directly into a mail service to Gmail.
For March, 2017 there is a set of options of adding in Gmail of functionality, these are mostly normal browser expansions. Testing of functionality is conducted with Salesforce, ProsperWorks and other.
Additions will be placed in G Suite Marketplace shop. In it there are services for other projects of Google — Docs and Sheets. It is enough to developer to write addition once that it could use on any of platforms.
The company positions additions as service for business, however normal users will have an opportunity of installation of expansions too. Additions of Gmail will work, both in the web version of service, and in mobile applications, but Google did not mention their availability to Inbox.
Moving of the Gmail servers to Russia will not save correspondence from FBI
The American court obliged to publish Google the correspondence of clients of a mail service which is on servers outside the USA. According to Reuters, according to the solution of the letter should be transferred to the staff of FBI conducting investigations .
According to judges, the order is not "serious intervention" and "violation of interests of owners of accounts". "Extraction of data of Google from the numerous DPCs abroad can be in the long term estimated as invasion into private life, however actually violation of confidentiality of data comes at the time of their disclosure in the territory of the USA", - notes the edition.
Google said that intend to appeal against the court order, having noted that judges "did not begin to be guided by earlier created precedent".
.js is included into the list of the prohibited files which includes also the.ade,.adp,.bat,.chm,.cmd,.com,.cpl,.exe,.ins,.jar,.jse,.lib,.lnk,.mde,.msc,.msp,.mst,.pif,.scr,.sct, shb.sys,.vb,.vbe,.vbs,.vxd,.wsc,.wsf and.wsh expansions. The majority of files of these types are used long ago by cybercriminals for mailing of a malicious code by e-mail.
Users of Gmail underwent the effective attack of hackers
The Wordfence company revealed a phishing campaign which victims are users of a mail service of Google Gmail at the beginning of a year. According to the description of researchers, malefactors, having hacked any account (including, using other phishing), begin to send to contacts of the victim of the letter which contain the images imitating real investments which already went from the hacked account before.
So if you sent someone archive with documents, and this letter remained in the folder of outgoing correspondence, then malefactors will send to future victims — any of your addressees — an investment screenshot. When clicking it will transfer you on the fake page imitating an input form in the Gmail account.
In an address bar even the inscription of "https://accounts.google.com" is borne. However at closer look of the address it becomes clear that it is a forgery.
You See Also: Phishing
2015: Google is fined for reading correspondence of the Russian in Gmail
The Moscow City Court obliged the Russian representative office of Google to pay 50 thousand rubles to the resident of Yekaterinburg Anton Burkov for violation of the right to the mystery of correspondence, Interfax with reference to the press service of court reports.
Earlier, on April 21, 2015, Zamoskvoretsky Court of Moscow rejected the claim of Burkov who complained of the American company for violation of the right to a personal secret and the mystery of correspondence.
"The court changed court's decision of the first instance and decided to exact 50 thousand rubles from the defendant", - the representative of Moscow City Court reported Interfax.
Google: Users of Gmail can not expect the mystery of correspondence
Google let know that about any personal privacy and the speech cannot be if the person uses third-party service which treats including the Gmail mail.
"The person who sent the letter to the colleague will hardly be surprised if the letter is opened by the assistant to the receiver. In the same way the people using web services should not be surprised to the fact that their messages are processed by provider before they get to the addressee's box. The user has no reasonable grounds at all to believe that information which he voluntarily transmits through the third hands remains confidential", - said in Google.
These and other statements contain in the document sent by lawyers of the company to District court the USA on the Northern District of State of California in July, 2013.
"Google eventually was recognized that to it to spit on privacy", - the area director of protection of private life in Consumer Watchdog John Simpson said. It recommended not to use Gmail service to people who need confidentiality.
Google considers that reading e-mail - which, by the way, according to in corporation, is executed by robots - it is necessary for "the correct functioning of service" and in order that "provide to users free services". In the company cite as an example protection against spam and filtering of messages - other functions which are also based on the analysis of contents of letters.
Users, in turn, claim that fixed functions do not belong to a subject of their discontent at all. Such statements also appear in the complaint: that "Google secretly collects different thoughts and the ideas of users of Gmail and brings together them in somebody a databank for confidential application".
"Private correspondence should be confidential. It is guaranteed by legislations of the majority of the countries. The mystery of correspondence can be broken in exceptional cases, the citizens connected with security. So Google company, analyzing correspondence of users and claiming that it has full authority to it, puts itself beyond the law", – the chief executive of League of the safe Internet Davydov Denis considers.
In the summer of 2013 the Google company demanded to reject the claim submitted by several users of Gmail (citizens of the USA) who were indignant with the fact that their private correspondence is analyzed by service and it is rough intervention in their private life. Believe in Google companies that have the right to it.
"Actually everything depends on the analysis purpose. For example, by the Russian legislation violation of a mystery of correspondence is possible only, so far as concerns disclosure of crimes, emergency liquidation, prevention of acts of terrorism. Google monitors letters of users in absolutely others, including for commercial purposes, for example, for detection of needs of consumers and the subsequent mailing of advertizing, potentially modern for them (contextual targeted advertizing), – Denis Davydov said. – So Google consciously violates the law".
However, it is not the only claim to the American Internet giant. As more than once the League of the safe Internet specified, the Google company consciously neglects work of Russian authorities on cleaning of Runet from dangerous and illegal information and threatens mental health of the Russian children. In particular, in response to appeals to filter from search issue a child pornography, appeals to suicides and information on sale of drugs and so forth Google answers that "it – only a searching tool which cannot affect its results at all". "However, I will remind that in response to recent similar claims of the prime minister of Great Britain David Cameron Google agreed to adopt rules of the game and modified the principle of work of the searcher. It is available – double standards. In Great Britain Google is the Internet company which bears complete responsibility for the activity. And in Russia is only the thoughtless search engine", – Denis Davydov said.
Microsoft broke covers: "Google reads all mail of users"
Microsoft repeatedly criticized Google for reading correspondence of users of Gmail and now started an advertizing campaign using which want to inform of this fact broad masses and to expand own customer base, reports.
On the website keepyouremailprivate.com which is specially created for these purposes Microsoft gave examples of how Google scans messages to display relevant advertizing when the user works with a box via the website.
For example, when mentioning in the letter of pets Google displays advertizing of a forage, at the mention of place names - advertizing of permits, diseases - medical institutions, a divorce - lawyer services, etc.
Google reads each letter, from beginning to end, claim in Microsoft. And it makes the same with all incoming correspondence irrespective of whether the letter from the Gmail account or any other provider was sent i.e. and when people do not subscribe under rules of use of Gmail.
Declarations of Gmail are displayed over the list of letters and to the right of it. In own mail service of Microsoft Outlook.com advertizing is displayed too, but declarations are not compared with contents of letters and output in a random way.
In spite of the fact that scanning of letters in Outlook.com all the same takes place - for the purpose of protection against spam and automatic sorting of letters according to folders - are convinced of Microsoft that it is not violation of user rights on private life whereas display of relevant advertizing in Gmail is an example of malicious violation of this right.
For the Perm officials blocked Google
In Perm Krai for officials access not only to social networks, but also to all Google services was blocked. According to the Perm online newspaper "Tekst", now regional officials cannot use search engine of the foreign company, the Gmail mail and also YouTube. At the same time access, for example, to the Russian video service of Rutube is not closed, also search services of other companies work in the normal mode, including foreign.
The minister of information technologies and communication of the Rostov region Lopatkin Herman recommended to officials to refuse use of services of Google company. He explained the solution with what cares for information security of Russia therefore recommended to officials not to use services of the foreign Internet companies, and to replace them with domestic analogs. Its order is dated on November 6, 2013. This statement officially was not published anywhere, however filtered into a blogosphere. However access to Google services for the Perm officials was blocked earlier.
FSB recommends to officials to use domestic mail services
Staff of state departments is offered not to use foreign services of e-mail, such as Gmail. As the newspaper Izvestia, FSB knew asks to convey this information to regional executive authorities in the letter to plenipotentiaries of the president in federal districts.
According to edition sources, information made public by the former employee of CIA Edward Snowden pushed to this FSB. He reported that the largest American IT companies among which there are Microsoft and Google, transfer information of the users of CIA and the U.S. NSA. The companies do not confirm information on similar "drainings", the newspaper reminded.
Together with the announcement of the cloud storage of Google Drive the Google company expanded in the spring of 2012 available space for users of a free mail service of Gmail from 7.5 GB to 10 GB. It is reported in the official blog. Besides, in Google announced that all subscribers to the paid Google Drive rates will have an opportunity to increase box capacity to 25 GB.
According to Computerworld, the customer base of Gmail totals over 350 million people.
In October, 2012 the mail service of Google for the first time overtook Microsoft Hotmail in popularity and became the most popular in the world, GigaOM with reference to data of ComScore reports. According to analysts, in October Gmail attracted 287.9 million unique visitors whereas Hotmail service - 286.2 million visitors. The third place in popularity was taken by mail of Yahoo! from 281.7 million unique visitors in October. In the USA, however, the leader is Yahoo! of Mail with monthly audience in 76.7 million unique visitors, on the second place - Gmail (69.1 million visitors), on the third Hotmail (35.5 million).
- At the end of February, 2011 About 154 thousand users of Gmail lost access to all e-mails which are saved up for many years. In addition to ordinary people, the problem concerned the enterprises which use Google Apps. The provider recovered a part of accounts and continues to work on resolving the situation. Users of Gmail faced trouble - on Sunday morning thousands from them found out that their letters which are saved up for many years of correspondences completely disappeared, including investments. Some users announced that in their boxes there was only the very first welcome letter from a command of Google, Engadget tells. The geography of a problem is not clear. In the official blog of Google and in the blog Gmail of the notification on a problem are absent. Meanwhile, the number of messages in a forum of technical support was close to three hundred. Some owners report that together with letters (and both entering, and proceeding) folders, contacts, filters, signatures were gone and settings were reset, and the account returned to a basic status. Some in attempt to open mail received the message that the server is unavailable (error 500), others - that their account is disconnected in view of violation of the user agreement. In addition to ordinary people, the enterprises using a cloud platform of Google Apps faced a problem. Google recognized existence of a problem and reported that she mentioned 0.29% of Gmail accounts. Considering that the user base of service is about 193 million people, it was talked approximately about 560 thousand users. Later the company specified number of users who lost mail: 0.08% or about 154 thousand people.
- On March 21, 2011 Google announced that the Chinese government actively complicates for users in this country access to services of e-mail of Internet giant. "From our party there are no technical difficulties, we carried out a large-scale inspection. Because of the state intervention it seems that in the territory of China Gmail experiences a certain failure in work which is absent", - it is told in the message of Google. As analysts note, the Chinese authorities which differed in the tough relation to work of Internet resources in the country also earlier activated the fight against objectionable to them the websites and the Internet companies against the background of pro-democracy performances in a number of the countries of the Middle East in January and February, 2011. Many Chinese dissidents began to call the supporters for active actions and a revolt against the present government. In reply to the power decided to toughen Internet censorship and set ready forces of police for fight against Protestants in case of their open performance which did not take place. According to representatives of Google, users announce problems with access to service of e-mail of the company since the end of January, 2011. Among such problems - impossibility of access to the homepage of Gmail, problem with sending of e-mails via the web interface of service. Also often in China function of instant messaging between users does not work, AR reports. Experts of Google note that now blocking is more advanced technically in comparison with performed earlier as now work of service is not blocked completely, and is only limited, creating visibility there is nobody failure in its systems.
Besides, earlier, on March 11, the company already announced that, it detected "a row accurately aimed and, apparently, politically motivated attacks against users of Gmail in China". "We consider that the Chinese political activists were the purposes of these attacks", - said in Google. Employees of security of the company refused to give more detailed data on these attacks. So far it is also unknown whether the question of blocking Gmail was brought up by Google at the official level of communication with the Chinese government. Representatives of the authorities of the country did not give the comments about charges from the company yet.
- May, 2011: Google reported in the blog that in a mail service of Google Mail at requests of users the limit of contacts in the address directory from 10 to 25 thousand is increased. At the same time also amount of memory under each contact - from 32 Kb to 128 Kb was increased - too at the request of users, so many of them add the mass of optional personal data to the e-mail address.
- June, 2011: Google announced that unknown hackers tried to crack its service of e-mail Gmail for the purpose of stealing of passwords from hundreds of email accounts, including mailboxes of employees of governmental bodies of the USA, the Chinese political activists and journalists. According to Reuters, the message of Google caused irritation of authorities of China who said that charges of the hacker attacks to this country "are unacceptable". According to representatives of Google, the recent attacks were performed from the city of Jinan, the capital of east Chinese province of Shandong. In Jinan one of six technical prospecting bureaus relating to armed forces of China is located. Representatives of the American authorities said that they are engaged in investigation of this incident together with Google. Also connected specialists of FBI to investigation.
- In January, 2010 Google announced the intention to stop cooperation with the Chinese government on censoring of search results of the service. Also the Internet giant said that the Chinese hackers connected with the government of the country performed a number of the large attacks to its services.
- In September, 2010 the possibility of automatic intellectual sorting of letters was announced, advancing the messages, most important or interesting to the user, up the list. The new service Gmail will learn to understand the interests of the specific user and to realize what letters attract his interest and what are not present, and depending on it to try to carry out filtering of a flow of letters. In the market there are similar developments for commercial users, but they paid and provide existence of own mail server. A new system in real time will "study" at the user and over time itself will be able to obtain data for work with letters from this or that sender, answering with automatic machine them, advancing them up the list Entering or at once deleting them. Service will look narrowly at letters to which the user pays the greatest attention as he responds to them and t of. At the same time, at to users there will be an opportunity always manually to correct priorities. Also in Google say that the new feature should not cause protests from users as service does not collect any new information, and only analyzes those data that already is in a box.
Gmail began work on April 1, 2004. In the beginning for creation of a mailbox it was necessary to receive the invitation from that who already has a mailbox, or, for residents of the USA, confirmation of the personality through the text message of the SMS was required. At the moment free registration is open for residents of all countries. The status of the beta is dropped on July 8, 2009.
- ↑ In the Gmail application video calls appeared
- ↑ Hackers with assistance of the foreign states attacked 12000 users of Google
- ↑ Google has been tracking nearly everything you buy online — see for yourself with this tool
- ↑ of Google will toughen rules of the Gmail data access for third-party applications
- ↑ [http://www.cnews.ru/news/top/2018-07-03_google_pozvolyaet_razrabotchikam_chitat_pochtu_polzovatelej Others mail on Gmail
- ↑ any developer for Android can read]
- ↑ 
- ↑ FOIA)FOIA is the federal law on freedom of information allowing complete or partial publication of information and documents of the U.S. Government. The law was signed by the president Lyndon B. Johnson on July 4, 1966 and became effective next year. It is applied only to documents of executive authorities.
- ↑ Google updated design of Gmail
- ↑ of Google completely will remake design of Gmail
- ↑ [http://www.securitylab.ru/news/489152.php In Gmail
- ↑ additional protection for government employees and journalists will appear]
- ↑ [https://www.blog.google/products/gmail/g-suite-gains-traction-in-the-enterprise-g-suites-gmail-and-consumer-gmail-to-more-closely-align/ of Google Cloud As G Suite gains traction in the enterprise, G Suite's Gmail and consumer Gmail to more closely align
- ↑ of CNews: 25 million Gmail usernames with passwords are offered for sale
- ↑ Gmail companies will allow to set additions from third-party developers
- ↑ of CNews: Moving of the Gmail servers to Russia will not save correspondence from FBI
- ↑ [https://www.pcweek.ru/security/article/detail.php?ID=191901 blog Gmail
- ↑ CNews: Users of Gmail underwent the effective attack of hackers
- ↑ CNews: Google is fined for reading correspondence of the Russian in Gmail
- ↑ 
- ↑ [http://www.cnews.ru/top/2013/11/05/microsoft_sorvala_pokrovy_google_chitaet_vsyu_pochtu_polzovateley_548371 The Telegraph Microsoft
- ↑ broke covers: "Google reads all mail of users"]
- ↑ For the Perm officials blocked Google