Robotic Process Automation (RPA) is the type of technology of business process automation based on use of program robots (software robots) and artificial intelligence. The program robot reproduces actions of the person, interacting with the system interface.
In the traditional systems the developer creates the list of actions for automation of a task using program interfaces (API) or a scripting language. RPA systems develop the list of actions, watching how the user carries out this task in the graphical user interface of the application.
Examples of RPA
- Work with tables in Excel, copying and data translation
- Verification of information on correctness
- Filling of screen forms bank client
- Report generation
- Data transfer from one system in another
Advantages of RPA
- Save mankind from routine and boring tasks
- Allow business to release a human resource, cutting down operating expenses performing a direct positive impact on payback
- The robot works 24\7, is not tired, does not go to a holiday, does not give birth to children
- The behavior of the robot is predictable. Predictable result. All steps – in a log.
- Robots have no errors owing to "a human factor"
- The robot, as a rule, works quicker and perform assigned tasks almost without errors
- Are integrated can work with the existing systems, without changing an IT landscape
- Easily provide the 100th complete log of the actions and allow to control operational performance flexibly
The RPA tools are intended for a linking of a small fragment of one legacy application with other same application. Let's say the employee needs to unload data from one application and to load them in the spreadsheet or other application. It is obvious that this procedure takes away a lot of time, besides it is possible that the employee can enter wrong data. For comparison, the RPA tools can "write" this process and copy it. The technology is directed to automation of separate simple tasks. By Gartner estimates, it allows to eliminate data entry errors, to accelerate processes and to cut down expenses. Besides, RPA can connect two different applications even if their suppliers did not provide a possibility of their integration through API.
What it gives for business
- Cutting of costs for accomplishment of routine transactions
- It is less than errors in processes, high quality and speed of their accomplishment
- Possibility of economical scaling of business
- Risk reduction for business
- Shift of focus of employees on accomplishment of intellectual tasks
That usually do with Software Robots:
- Extraction of data (OCR, E-Mail, PDF)
- Data transfer, integration
- Data translation
- Transactions in ERP
- Work with forms
- Writing of letters, work with SM\IM
- Data analysis, report generation
Articles on the subject RPA: